Advance booking is essential as you may find us closed otherwise.
- Our building is a beautifully converted real barn.
- It relies only on natural heating and can be cool - but always with a warm welcome.
- A sleeping bag is essential. Please bring your own or hire one of ours when you book.
- We have a maximum of 11 spaces in a dorm-style room, divided into 3 sections with 8 bunk beds and 3 sleeping platform spaces.
- We welcome individuals, families and groups.
- We are closed daytime from 10 am to 5 pm (10:00 to 17:00).
- People from 5 to 17 years are welcome with a responsible adult.
- We have Wi-Fi, but mobile reception is unreliable.
- We have an excellent kitchen and there is a good local pub for food.
- By making a booking you agree to our terms and conditions (pdf, 210 kB).
- Absolutely no vehicles except cycles beyond the road entrance, even for unloading luggage.
- A warden will always be present when the barn is open.
You can also send us a message, or phone: 01483 811001 (+44 1483 811001).
You should read our detailed FAQs on the barn before you come to stay.
Booking with this website gives you the best price - guaranteed. The exact prices are shown when you book.
Details for 2024
From 29 March to the end of 2 November 2024 we plan to open for most nights.
You should book in advance, as otherwise we may not be open.
How it works
- We nominally have 11 spaces. The cost per adult is £23.00 each per night. The discount cost is £17.50 each per night for young people from 5 - 17 years old.
For a 'sole use' family group there is no lower age limit. The basic 'sole use' cost for adults is £253.00 minus any discounts. You can claim a £10 discount per day per group on arrival if you can fill the barn with 11 people of any age from one group. Please ask for the rates for other groups such as organisations for young people.
- For small children, we can squeeze just one more in on our sleeping platform, making 12 people in total. Please ask.
- All bookings are accepted on the understanding that there is a warden on the premises whenever the barn is open. They are likely to need to share the kitchen with you.
- In line with our operating principles, we give a 'green discount' of £3 per night per person if you tell us on arrival that you travelled all the way by foot, cycle, or public transport.
- If you are a member of "Friends of Nature" we offer free sleeping bag hire. Please ask.
- Cancellation notice: if you have to cancel please give us as much notice as possible. The deadline for telling us is 12 noon. We are able to refund you the following for your booking:
- 3 full days or more notice - 90 %
- less than 3 full days notice - 0 %
- If you simply don't arrive and don't tell us - a 'no-show' - then we ask you to pay for the whole booking. If you bring fewer people than you booked space for, then we also ask for the full payment.
- We have a limited number of sleeping bags and towels for hire. Please bring your own if possible. A sleeping bag with freshly washed liner and pillow cover is £5 per person per stay. A towel is £1 per person per stay. Please send us a message to reserve these when you book.
- Membership of Project Oasis North Downs £6 (unwaged £4) - to support the Project and receive an occasional newsletter.
The barn is unsuitable for groups likely to be very noisy, as we have nearby neighbours in a very rural setting. Our barn exists to benefit people wishing to enjoy the countryside for recreational activities and we reserve the right to cancel group bookings considered unsuitable.
If you are booking the barn for a group, please ensure all participants see our FAQs ahead of their visit. Then everyone can have an idea of what to expect.
Project Oasis North Downs believes that a young person or vulnerable adult should never experience abuse of any kind. We recognise that we have a responsibility to promote the welfare of all young people and vulnerable adults. We are committed to safeguarding the wellbeing of all young people and vulnerable adults that we come into contact with, and to protecting them from harm.
Our Safeguarding Policy is an important factor in how we operate Puttenham Barn Bunkhouse, and we invite you to read the full policy (pdf, 300 kB). Comments are always welcome.
Access for all
Our organisation tries to accommodate all those seeking a greater knowledge, love and care of the countryside, regardless of their ability. Along with many organisations, we have a formal access statement (pdf, 95 kB) to show how we comply with typical visitor needs and requirements. Please understand the challenge that our old building gives in meeting these ideals.